The Vital Importance of Website Security
As we all know, security is one of the most fundamental parts of life being enjoyable. When we feel vulnerable and/or unsafe, we can often find it ruins our opportunities. Vulnerability is among the worst feelings that one can have, and it’s why we pay so much for security. From policing to private and home-based security, we spend a lot of time, effort and money trying to make our world a little safer.
In the rather lawless and wild world of the internet, though, offering safety through our websites can prove more challenging than you might first expect. This is why grasping the key nature of website security shouldn’t be something that you’ll “do later”; it should be paramount to every step you take. As a business or entrepreneur, it’s vital that you have confidence in your own service to be safe. Without the guarantee of protection, you would be unlikely to shop in any store, would you?
So why would you expect someone to do the same with your website?
Security offers more than just peace of mind. It shows authenticity, authority and an understanding of the importance of making people feel welcome and safe.
What Happens When You’re Hacked?
- Well, for one, if your website isn’t secure, you leave your entire chance at earning a living up in the air. The attacker could get access to the whole website and take it over or simply take it down.
- It could leave you with huge amounts of rebuilding to be done, especially without regular back-ups to call upon.
- You could even be held to ransom. This is becoming more and more common; if you want access to your site, and your livelihood again, or you want to get back online, you need to meet their demands. This can prove very costly and had ended some businesses.
- Not only does this look terrible for your business reputation, it puts everyone who shops with you at risk. Their personal details could be stolen because of a lack of protection on your end.
- As you might imagine, this has incredible consequences for your reputation and could cause a major backlash from customers, negatively effecting profit margins for a long time to come.
Therefore, you should be wary about not using the right protection protocols. From securing and solidifying all administrative access to using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protection to keep yourself protected and verified, you have many options available for staying safe.
The best way to stay safe, of course, is to simply invest your time and energy into getting SSL protection. When you visit any website, if it does not come with an https:// URL, a small green padlock next to the URL name and an SSL certificate that can be viewed, people will be put off immediately.
Add in the fact that Google will start penalizing non-SSL sites to help enforce better web security, it’s no longer just a recommendation. If you wish to have confidence in your business, and for your customers to have faith in your offering, you need to get secure today!
Aside from regular back-ups and constant protection monitoring and smart password policies, achieving SSL certification is a must for your business to retain faith from customers for the years to come.
Got any questions or need a nudge in the right direction? Just drop me a line [email protected]
Thanks for reading!