What inspires your business?
For any business owner, when the going gets tough it can be hard to want to keep…going. When you feel like your business is just spinning its wheels and not going anywhere, you need to find a second wind. Well, one of the single most powerful forms of momentum at your disposal stems from inspiring yourself with the founding principle of your business.
If you were to start a business, you have to know what inspires you to do so. It has to be something more than just “make money”; you need to have a genuine purpose to inspire you as time goes on. If you aren’t sure what inspires your business then it might be time to think more about this before you try and move further forward with the development and growth of the business.
Inspiring Your Business: What Matters?
- So, the first thing that you need to look at is what originally inspired you to take this jump. What were the seeds the pushed it from idea to business. It often boils down to a personal passion or because you know you have the skills to help solve a problem for a certain demographic.
- If you are serious about improvement and change then you need to take a closer look at what matters across the board. Think about why you want to have and maintain a business – is it down to helping people? If so, your content has to be less commercially-driven, and more information-specific.
- At the same time, you should look to avoid being too inspired by someone else. You need to have your own reasons for being in business; don’t just look at the big performer in your industry and claim the same back-story or inspiration as they had.
- You need your own reasons, otherwise your business is going to fuelled by false sincerity. Remember, being inspired by something does not mean just taking it as your own. While you don’t need to reinvent the wheel, you need to make that wheel truly your own. If your business is built purely to profit then your business is going to be quite hard for people to trust.
- Why? Because it will lack sincerity. It lacks an inspiring reason behind why it came to be, and why you wish to be involved. Work that out, and it becomes much easier to start inspiring your business.
First and foremost, though, you need to learn about the main reasons why you wish to be in business. Without inspiration, those who are powered by their own passions – professional or otherwise – will always have an upper hand on you. It all comes down to purpose, profit will follow.
If you’re struggling to find this inspiration then go back to the drawing board. Do some brainstorming. Journal it out. Spend a few strategic hours on Pinterest. Download our FREE Brand Clarity Guide – even if you’re not looking to rebrand this may give you the clarity you need around your existing brand. Please remember though; if you cannot find it directly from your own business story, don’t just borrow it verbatim from another business.
Do yourself a favour and start to work with a company that can help you to form a brand identity. The reason why you got into the business might be buried inside your psyche. Working with a creative agency, perhaps in conjunction with a business coach, could help you to unlock that memory and remind you why you got into business in the first place!